Expanded Polystyrene Sheets/Blocks – EPS are very adaptable to use when insulating ceilings, walls and floors. We supply the two best types of polystyrene sheets: expanded polystyrene sheets and extruded polystyrene sheets, both at great value for money. Both types are CFC and HCFC free and 100% recyclable, allowing you to choose either safe in the knowledge that it is environmentally friendly and compliant with Building Regulations.
WA Polystyrene stocks a range of thicknesses and sizes to suit your preferences and we can help you calculate quantities to suit your requirements. Contact us today to discuss all of this and more. Our expert team are here for you and will endeavour to cater to your needs.
- Insulation for cold storage buildings
- Civil engineering applications such as bridges, roads, and carparks
- Insulation for building construction, cold storage, and coolrooms
- Refrigeration insulation
- Decorative architectural profiles for buildings
- Insulated rendered wall systems
- Geofoam – lightweight fill used in civil engineering applications such as roadways and bridge on/off ramps
- Lightweight cores for bridge beam construction
- Floatation for pontoons and marinas
- Insulation for wine tanks and pipe work
- Insulation for buildings with or without reflective foil facings
- Theming for movie sets and amusement parks
- Insulated concrete form-work (ICFs) for buildings (cut from block or custom moulded)
- Decorative architectural mouldings for building applications
- Floatation for boats, jet-skis and surfboards
- Theatre, Television and Film production
- Model making, arts and crafts
- Shops and Department Stores
- Exhibition, Display and Design Companies
- Protective Packaging Companies
- Features and Benefits
- Stylish and Modern look
- Cost Effective
- Provides protection from the elements
- Simple to Install
- Fix to any substrate (surface) – brick, concrete, timber, weatherboard with our Ritetack adhesive
- Strong, Rigid, Durable and Impact resistant
- Less maintenance than other sunshade solutions
- Australian made for Australian conditions
- Pre-finished or rendered on-site options
- Custom profiles available to suit any shape or size specification
WA Polystyrene’s expanded polystyrene sheets is a well-proven construction material in a wide variety of building applications.
Commercial applications include:
- Shop Fronts
- Office buildings
Residential applications include:
- Apartment blocks
- Garden Sheds
Versatile, it can be cut to suit specific shapes and sizes for various applications such as:
- Architectural profiles
- Fence caps
- External sheeting which can be rendered for aesthetic purposes
Building and Construction
First of all, EPS is an inert material that does not rot and provides no nutritional benefits to vermin, therefore, does not attract pests such as rats or termites. Its strength, durability and lightweight nature make it a versatile and popular building product. Applications include insulated panel systems for walls, roofs and floors as well as facades for both domestic and commercial buildings and spa covers. WA Polystyrene also provides a void-forming geofoam fill material for civil engineering projects, as a lightweight fill in road and railway construction, and as floatation material in the construction of pontoons and marinas. WA Polystyrene also carries the World’s Best, Ritetack Instant Grab Construction Adhesive, which is suitable for polystyrene.
Properties of EPS
EPS has been a material of choice for over half a century because of its technical versatility, performance and cost-effectiveness. It is widely used in many everyday applications where its light weight, strength, durability, thermal insulation and shock absorption characteristics provide economic, high-performance products.
Lightweight & Greenhouse Gas Efficient
EPS is an extremely lightweight material which is not surprising, considering it is comprised of ~98% air. This characteristic makes it ideal for use in packaging as it does not significantly add to the weight of the total product thereby reducing transportation costs. Energy consumption for transport fuel is also reduced and vehicle emissions minimised – all contributing to lower global warming.
The exceptional durability of EPS makes it an effective and reliable protective packaging for a wide range of goods. The cellular structure of EPS makes it dimensionally stable and therefore does not deteriorate with age. EPS is also odourless and non-toxic.
EPS is a closed cell material and does not readily absorb water. In damp conditions, there is no loss of strength, making EPS ideal for cool-chain products. The material is moisture resistant, so The highest hygiene requirements are met. Fishing floats and marina buoys lend itself the ability of EPS to resist moisture. Even when subjected to prolonged saturation in water, EPS will still maintain its shape, size, structure and physical appearance with only a slight reduction in its thermal performance.
We supply a superior thermal efficiency of EPS makes it ideal for packaging any product that is sensitive to temperature change. At a temperature above or below ambient conditions, products enclosed in EPS containers can be protected from sudden temperature changes that can occur in the transport through different climatic zones. Examples include fresh produce and seafood as well as pharmaceutical and medical products.
Most Noteworthy, EPS exhibits excellent shock absorbing characteristics making it the first choice for packaging of a wide range of products including appliances, electronic products, computers and chemicals.
We can manufacture EPS to almost any shape or size, or it can be almost easily cut and shaped when required to suit any application. Therefore, we can produce EPS in a wide range of densities providing a varying range of physical properties. When the material is used to optimise its performance, these are matched to the various applications. In addition, EPS is also compatible with a wide variety of materials, including our Polystyrene Adhesive.
Ease of Use
In conclusion, for building and construction applications, and if wanting to install on site, EPS is the easiest material to use. Therefore, we normally supply EPS in sheet form, however, can also be moulded into shapes or in large blocks.
Suitable for use across steel studs, timber studs, and concrete and masonry buildings, Styroboard Expanded Polystyrene Sheets provide an efficient and economical solution for insulation. Often used on the outside of the wall stud, cavities are maintained closer to room temperature which reduces the risk of surface and cavity condensation. The thermal mass advantages of concrete and masonry walls are also improved.
Thermal conductivity for Styroboard EPS grades are shown in the reference below.
||k = 0.041 W/mk*
||k = 0.0397 W/mk*
||k = 0.0383 W/mk*
||k = 0.0368 W/mk*
||k = 0.0352 W/mk*
|* k value @ reference temperature 25°C
Nominal R-values (m²K/W) – excluding surface resistance
|Styroboard sheet thickness